Wednesday 9 March 2011

Presentation of Tracks

QCon is streamed into "Tracks" - thematic groups of talks and presentations.
Every day starts with an overview of that day's tracks by the track hosts.

Today, we have:

Charles Humble: The future of Java.

Firstly, I could have sworn he said his name was Chris, but he's down as Charles in the programme. So we'll go with the programme and call him Charles. This Track is going to focus on Java the language, not the platform and is going to be highly technical. Apparently the language is changing in ways I don't understand.
I want to get a lot better at Java, but I am a total noob at it right now. Not the track for me!


Kirk Wylie: Next generation financial technology.

Kirk is really really happy to be here. This track is going to be looking at large scale integration problems, sub millisecond transactions, and making massive amounts of money for banks. You go and work in financial services as a low-level geek and you are going to get paid lots of money and make brilliant but ugly software for a couple of dozen users. I prefer the UX lead stuff.

Next up, Russ Miles on Enterprise Agile Transformation.
I quite fancied going to see Russ's talk. The chap seems nervous. I'll go and see him.


Track 4 is iOS4 and Android hosted by Adrian Kosmaczewski.
Adrian is psyched. His track is going to be the most awesome and exciting ever. Not only fun and replete with (sexist joke deleted), but also the most socially important. Ohhhhkay. I promise I won't get myself started on social importance, but let us say that my view is broadly that top-end smartphones and social importance do not inhabit the same brain space.

Michael Stal presented the Software Architecture Improvements Track.
Architecture must fulfil the requirements of the system. It needs care and management and must be seen as organic and flexible. All good so far. I think I will be spending most of my time today in this track. No mention of the best way of improving architecture, though - removing architects :)

The Solutions Track is, as far as I could gather, presentations from Sponsors, but not marketing or product lead. Which sounds reasonable to me.

A busy and exciting day to look forwad to!

No comments:

Post a Comment